Listening to: Tangled Up In Me - Skye Sweetnam
I gained some knowledge today because of some random thought I had while bathing. Why do we sometimes see weevils coming out from rice grains? Do all rice grains contain weevil eggs? Or do weevils crawl into the rice grain in the middle of the night?
So I asked my mother after coming out of the steamy bathroom. Her reply was: When rice decomposes, bacteria will start forming on it, and it will gradually become a lifeform - the weevil. Well, it was quite hard to believe that a lifeform can be formed from bacteria, but on further thinking, we were made from tiny cells after all.
But on much further thinking, it was a crappy reasoning. Why? Because if bacteria could complete the reproduction process for the female weevil mothers, there's no need for the latter to reproduce ain't it? I mean all living things reproduce, be it through binary fission or mitosis. Well they certain can't reproduce through binary fission because... It would be freaky if they did that. Just imagine how it would look like in the transition stage where it would have two heads, two bodies, and double of everything all in one entity! XD
So I googled it since I couldn't bear to deceive myself with my mother's fake theory, and AH-HA, she was wrong! Well actually, there's a chance that the rice grains in every sack contain weevils! According to the articles I read online, it's said that the female weevil will lay her eggs in the wheat flower, where the larvae will then feed on the rice kernels. In addition, these female weevils are sometimes found in rice processing plants, and can feed on up to 63% of the starch inside the rice using its snout. Hence, diseases can be spread to the rice grains!
Interesting ain't it?
Ever heard of the expression: 'You are what you eat'? If you're facing an identity crisis, and so happen to find yourself eating a plate of weevil-infested rice, lucky you, because you'll finally find the answer you need. :)
Sunday, November 18, 2007
it's 7:57 PM.
